Imagine Toronto in the year 2050.
#Picture2050 is a contest for citizen photographers inspired by Toronto’s Climate Plan.
The contest closed on January 12th, 2018.
Photographs by the winners and finalists are at Contest Results.
You can also see All Contest Submissions.
Imagine Toronto in the year 2050. What does a caring and climate-friendly city of the future look like to you?
To build the kind of city we want, we need to imagine it. Submit up to 3 photos that represent the Toronto you would like to see in 2050. Each picture submitted is a building block of the future city that we will bring to life together.
Show us your stories and the things that inspire you. Capture actions, events, people, places – anything that you feel is helping Toronto become a better city by 2050.
This contest is inspired by TransformTO, the City’s plan to mitigate climate change and build a healthy, equitable and prosperous Toronto. This plan was unanimously approved by City Council in July 2017 and now needs funding to be approved by Council in February 2018.
We hope the photos throughout the website will provide some inspiration.
Age 11 & under
Age 12 to 17
Age 18 & over
- Deadline for submissions: Friday January 12th, 2018.
- Digital Photographs will be accepted via the online form below. Maximum 3 photos per participant.
- Maximum size per photo for upload: 8 MB
- Photo quality: 300 PPI (pixels per inch) is recommended. (Photos may be printed for exhibition A4 – 8×11 or larger.)
- Each photo should have a title (100 character limit) and a description (400 character limit).
- Images should not have added digital elements; filters are acceptable.
- Photos can be previously or recently taken but must be shot in the Greater Toronto Area.
Photos will be judged according to set criteria, which will include:
- Vision for a sustainable, climate-friendly city
- Representation of TransformTO themes – climate action for a healthy, equitable, prosperous Toronto
- Originality and creativity
The winner in each category will be awarded $200 and will be recognized at an award ceremony on February 6th.
The winning photographs, along with “honourable mentions” in each category, will be framed and featured in a public exhibit at Toronto City Hall, January 22-25.
The images will be shared on this website and social media. Hashtags: #Picture2050 #TransformTO #TOgether
See Contest Results to view photos by the winners and finalists.
Bringing Vacant Space to Life - using empty lots to benefit the community
Judging the Contest
The panel of thirteen judges represented a variety of organizations, community groups, educational institutions and the City of Toronto. The complete list follows the Winners and Finalists photo gallery at Contest Results.
The judges independently scored each image from one to ten based on the three criteria listed above in Guidelines.
The scores for each image were averaged to produce the final result.
Kale Munching - vertical agriculture for urban food production.